I used to assume that women who had very short hair had run into a bad experience with the hot comb or a perm. What woman in her right mind would cut off all her hair on purpose? I used to wonder, until I did it myself.
What is a natural?
Naturals, or Afros if you prefer, are the simplest in style and when worn very short, are extremely easy to maintain. You can wear it to basically any length, but depending on your hair texture, it may lose it’s shape as it grows out.
Wash and condition, apply an oil or leave-in conditioner, pick it out, and let it dry, and you’re on your way!
- Place a part on one side.
- After washing and picking it out, tie on a silk/satin scarf, do-rag, or stocking cap to smooth it down.
- Using the pads of your fingers, rub your head in circles to encourage curls. Do this for awhile, say 5-10 minutes. The more you rub, the more your curls will stand out. I wouldn’t suggest this for hair longer than one and a half inches long. When it’s time to shampoo, the curls can be hard to untangle.
Pay Attention To:
- The area along the nape of your neck. You may have stray hairs that are spoiling your look.
- The overall cut. It should flatter your face shape and shouldn’t look to harsh (unless that’s your preference.)